Shawnee Traffic & Speeding Ticket Amendment Attorney

The City of Shawnee Police Department writes thousands of speeding/traffic tickets each year.  These tickets can have a massive negative effect on your insurance rates or driver's license.

The lawyers at the Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson can "fix" or amend most Shawnee speeding/traffic tickets to non-moving violations such as illegal parking.  

Simply paying a traffic/speeding ticket in Shawnee, KS can bring negative effects ranging from the cost and inconvenience of paying to the ticket to higher insurance rates for years to the loss or suspension of your driver's license.

We can amend most Shawnee speeding tickets to non-moving violations such as "illegal parking." This amendment will not reflect negatively on your driving record or your insurance rates, it will simply look like any other parking ticket.

We have seen instances where our clients just paid a ticket and saw their insurance premiums increase by thousands of dollars per year!  We have also had clients simply pay a ticket and suddenly find a letter in their mailbox from the Kansas Department of Revenue informing them that their driver's license has been suspended for 30 days, 90 days, or even 3 years!

If you are like most folks, you need your driver's license to get to work and to care for your loved ones.  The State of Kansas, however, does not care. If your license gets suspended, you cannot ask for a "hardship" license to get to work - they simply expect you to stay home or get a ride.  The conclusion is clear - you want to keep EVERY ticket off of your record!

Other traffic violations in Shawnee can also be amended or "diverted." Diversion is basically a contract between you and the City where you agree to stay out of trouble for a period of time (3, 6, 9, or 12 months), and the City agrees to dismiss the charge if you do so.

Frequently asked questions about a driver's license suspension in Kansas:

How exactly can my driver's license get suspended?

These are the infractions that will result in the suspension of your Kansas driver's license:

  • Conviction of three or more moving violations within a specified time period.  The State does not care if the violations were collected in Shawnee, elsewhere in Kansas, or even in another state - they will still suspend your driver's license for too many violations!
  • Refusal to submit to a chemical test to determine your BAC
  • Failing to appear for court date or failing to pay a ticket from Shawnee or other jurisdiction.  We see this one all too often - folks either can't afford to pay a ticket or forget all about it.  When the Court date is missed, the City or County will suspend that person's driver's license and issue a warrant for your arrest.  If you have missed your Court date, call us immediately!  We can often enter an appearance on your behalf, get the warrant recalled, and take steps to get your driver's license back in good standing.
  • Failing to maintain continuous liability insurance on your vehicle.  If you drive your car without insurance, you can be suspended for a very lengthy period of time - even if you haven't been in an accident.  Do not drive without insurance in Shawnee or elsewhere!  If you do let your insurance lapse and a ticket is issued, call us immediately so we can help you avoid a driver's license suspension for the charge.
  • Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or having a BAC level of .08% or above.  Almost everyone charged with a DUI will also be subject to a driver's license suspension ranging from 30 days to life, depending on their driving history.  If you have been charged with DUI in Shawnee or elsewhere in Kansas you only have 10 days from the date of your arrest to request an administrative hearing with the State or your license will be automatically suspended for a period ranging from 30 days to life!  If you have been charged with DUI in Shawnee or elsewhere in Kansas, call us immediately so we can file the correct documents to preserve your driving privileges!
  • Transporting an open container of liquor or cereal malt beverage (3.2 beer)

Can I get a hardship driver’s license?
Kansas laws do not allow the issuance of a hardship license, that would allow a person to drive during the length of their suspension, revocation, cancellation or
disqualification period.

I went through a period of time where I racked up a bunch of tickets.  This is hurting my ability to get a license.  Is there anything a Shawnee traffic law office can do to help me get my driving privileges back?

In many cases, the answer is yes - we can help you get your Kansas driver's license.  We specialize in "hard cases" that other traffic attorneys in Shawnee and Johnson County are unwilling to take.  We can help you in several ways. 

First, if there are tickets that haven't been paid, we can enter appearances on those cases and attempt to amend or "fix" any moving violations you have pending. 

Second, if past tickets are going to be or are the cause of a driver's license suspension, then we may be able to vile a "motion to withdraw plea," where we can actually "undo" the tickets you've paid in the past.  

When dealing with past tickets or multiple tickets, the situation can get very complicated very quickly.  Call us today at (913) 764-5010 to set up an appointment to discuss your situation and to find a solution to get back your Kansas driver's license.


Are you looking for a Johnson County DUI attorney to represent you on a Shawnee, KS Driving Under the Influence charge?

We also handle driving under the influence (DUI) charges in Shawnee Municipal Court and Johnson County DIstrict Court.

Every Shawnee (and every Kansas) DUI charge will have 2 components:  (1)The criminal proceedings in Shawnee Municipal Court or Johnson County District Court; and (2) the administrative proceeding where the State is trying to suspend your driving privileges.

Shawnee DUI charges and your driver's license:  If you have been charged with a DUI in Shawnee, Johnson County, or elsewhere in Kansas, you need to take action immediately!  In most Shawnee (and Kansas) DUI cases, you only have 10 days from the date of your arrest to request an administrative hearing or your license will be automatically suspended for a period between 30 days and life, depending on the circumstances.

Once a hearing is properly requested, your driving privileges will remain valid until a hearing is held, usually 8-12 weeks from the date of your arrest.  The administrative  hearing for your license will take place with the Kansas Department of Revenue.  Contact us today to schedule a no-cost consultation.  If you retain this law firm for your Shawnee DUI, we will request a hearing on your behalf.  

The criminal proceedings from a Shawnee DUI charge:  Every Shawnee DUI conviction also carries a mandatory jail sentence - even for first time offenders!  

Shawnee DUI charges are prosecuted under the provisions of KSA 8-1567 (available HERE: KSA 8-1567).  This statute not only calls for the mandatory jail time, but also requires a 12 month probation for almost every conviction, as well as a fine and the requirement that the defendant complete court ordered treatment.

Visit our DUI webpage for more in depth information about Shawnee DUI charges and more information on retaining a Shawnee, KS DUI lawyer:

You may also contact us directly at (913)764-5010.




Johnson County, Kansas Traffic Law Center | Traffic & Speeding Ticket Amendment Lawyers-Lawyers-Law Firm | Amendments, Diversions, Legal Representation

The traffic attorneys in our Johnson County law office represent drivers with speeding & traffic tickets/citations in Johnson County District Court and all municipal courts.  Our law firm's traffic lawyers negotiate with prosecutors to minimize or eliminate the negative affects of speeding/traffic tickets have on driving records & insurance rates.  We routinely keep our clients'  licenses "clean," saving them hundreds or thousands of $$$ in auto insurance premium increases.  Our traffic law firm's lawyers represent drivers on driving while suspended (DWS), habitual violator, or driving under the influence (DUI/DWI) cases.

To contact a Johnson County traffic attorney: call 913-764-5010 or email

Our firm's traffic lawyers "fix" Johnson County, Kansas tickets & citations!

The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC., is based in Kansas, and serves the surrounding areas in Kansas

© Copyright Law Office of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC All rights reserved. SEO by LawyerSuccess